Jim, the bike may seem "too big" , but is it really or are you simply
comparing it to your other bikes and equating that with "too big", "a
lumbering hulk" ? Your Clem is what it is, so rather than comparing it and
thus diminishing it, play around with it. I've seen many a tales here how
someone said they didn't like their bike, but after a change/adjustment of
some part of the bike that you contact(bars/stem/saddle/pedals, etc.), or
even tires, their story changed completely. Many mtb's have considerably
steeper seat tube angles too, which places your center of balance further
forward that on the Clem. I could see how that would contribute to a
perception of "less sprightly" or "laid back" or even "sluggish".  The
chainstays and wheelbase are also much longer, so of course it will feel
different, so* try riding it different*. Every bike has it's own
"personality", if you will. Let it shine rather than try making it
something it's not, any another bike.

If you still find it's not for you, so what ? Let it go and find something
else, there's always a bike to ride.