Jim,

You are not imagining things.  I have a Surly Cross-Check that has been
used as a commuter, grocery-getter, randonneur, single-speed and as a
cyclo-tourer.  When I had it configured as a tourer I had it fairly heavily
laden in front (2 large Ortlieb backroller panniers + Tubus Tara) with an
Ortlieb rack pack on back + Tubus Cosmo.  I still cannot believe how
comfortable that particular rig rode.  As Mark Schneider points out, bikes
do seem to work better when they flex a bit, and with the Surly's decently
burly tubes, it sure proved that theory!

Good luck!

Jeff