My bar end shifter knee strikes stopped once I settled on the right width
of bars with the right amount of flare, regardless of the popular choices
of the time.

My legs are long for my height, so frame size and cockpit set up have my
hands far from DT shifters, bar ends have long been my answer. Every bike
has been unique due to fit and set up. I held on to a set of NOS set of
Simplex/Mavic friction shifters for possible use on my 650B rando last year
but when I mocked up the rolling chassis to try the reach, the bosses were
just too far down. "Shift" was right, my whole body to reach the lever and
move the chain over a cog.

I accepted that I use bar ends and made sure my new bar provided for knee
clearance then I gifted the shifters to one of the mechanics who was
piecing together a Waterford rando for a big west coast ride and they were
perfect for his Rinko needs and the trains.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh