Long cage designs are trying to make initial contact with the chain by the
side plates at a place where the most effective use of lateral movement is.
 FD design to accommodate more gears on triples and integrated
brake/shifters has to deal with both trim and rapid contact with the chain
at a point that is most likely to initiate the chain being dropped to a
smaller or letting go of a ring's teeth and climbing onto a bigger.

Ramps and pins handle the work once the chain contacts a bigger ring.
Abrupt movement initiates shifts to smaller rings. I think in some of the
designs the longer tail of the FDs came from the contouring of the side
plates reducing trim needs as you shift across the cassette while on a
specific ring. When in larger rings the chainline is proximate to the front
or middle of the cage but plate shaping to reduce trim requirements in that
area of the FD might create some long movement before contacting the chain
for an up shift from the smallest ring.

I suspect that the answer was harmonics and the abruptness of the trigger
release nature of most integrated shifter actions, that the long tail
placed the initial contact at a place (when using the brand's specified
chain) creates a wave complimentary to the pretty specific chainring reccos
(limitations) of the package inserts. That's a brittle system if it's true
but after looking at how deep Shimano goes in this sort of secondary or
tertiary physical function in other cycling and fishing gear, I think it's
for real.

Not interested in click shifting? FD cages don't have to be such elaborate
origami or '60s Cadillac long. Look at this one.
<https://www.renehersecycles.com/my-pbp-bike-derailleurs/> Not only
friction but no cable either. Again why I ended up with what seem like
obscure antiques to move my chain between the rings...because I am doing
it, not the snap of a spring loaded device on my handlebar. Modern cycling
is trying so hard to remove cycling as a barrier to cycling that it gets
tangled up in its own line like a fly fisher trying to cast too far.
Sometimes a learned skill will be required.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh