The cold shock response from sudden immersion is a recognized phenomenon that
is emphasized a lot in boating safety courses, hence the mantra “dress for the
water, not the weather.” I’m not aware of a similar danger from drinking cold
water, although so-called ice cream headache is possibility…

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400

> On Jun 6, 2021, at 5:06 PM, Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY <kaiviers...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> And I specifically avoid insulated water bottles because someone convinced
> me once that cold water, particularly on a hot day, is a shock to the system.
> Can anyone confirm or deny?
> -Kai
>
>> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4 Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY wrote:
>> Because running low on water stinks, I use a 48oz nalgene bottle in my
>> Mojave cage with a 32oz backup in the summer or on a longer ride. Works well
>> in my large triangles, maybe less so on smaller frames. The larger bottle
>> also provides a little more space to blame for the weight of my bikes.
>> Fact is, every $375 spent on titanium hardware gets you an extra oz of
>> balanced h2o capacity.
>> Currently at zero titanium, and coffee goes in the insulated Kleen Kanteen
>> in the bag, 32oz giving me two large coffees at work (c.r.e.a.m. lives in
>> the work fridge)
>> -Kai
>>
>>> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:20:44 PM UTC-4 Doug H. wrote:
>>> I've always used standard size bottle cages and uninsulated bottles. But,
>>> I'm intrigued by the Velo Orange Mojave large cage that holds their 32 oz
>>> Nalgene and 32 oz insulated Klean Kanteen bottles. On long rides I will
>>> take two 20 oz bottles but usually have some left so one 32 might do for
>>> longish rides (30 miles or so). I'm looking for others' bottle setups and
>>> opinions.
>>> Thanks,