Wife and recently marked the 10th anniversary and decided to get each other
nice presents. She is getting me an Appaloosa built and I got her something
she really wanted in the jewelry department (of 20-30% higher value than
the bike).

We are both financially responsible people, don't live lavishly, and can
afford both items. However, the reactions of the friends and family who
hear about our gifts and their values have been somewhat puzzling for me.
While no one has given a second thought to the price of the jewelry, the
reactions on the bike have almost universally been that of astonishment.
And these are from people who know me well, know I enjoy cycling, and that
I only have one bike right now which I am planning to sell when the new one
arrives.

So that got me thinking, I can't be the only one who has experienced this.
What are some other similar stories? More importantly, what do you say to a
well-meaning loved one when they ask things like "$3500 for a bike?" and
"but isn't your current bike orange too?"