This is such an interesting topic from a sociological perspective.

The idea that we don’t want to talk about costs with others has always
confused me. My wife says it’s because people make judgments about others,
but who cares?

Ultimately, it’s a conversation about the application of subjective values.
Do Rivendells cost a lot? To me, with my income, yes. To others with
theirs, no. Do I think they’re a great bargain? Totally. Do I care if
someone thinks I spent too much? No. Unless I overpaid out of ignorance,
but that’s really my own fault.

I wouldn’t want a comeback for someone having a different opinion of value
than me. It’s one of the great things about people. We value things
differently. Even people spending the same amount on a specialized carbon
bike would think were silly for spending that much on a heavy steel bike.
And what do we think of their purchase?

Did you know some people don’t like Brussels sprouts? I can’t believe it
either.

Best,

Aaron in El Paso