Patrick,

Congrats - you (have been) and are realizing the benefits of tubeless
tires.  I 100% agree that there is a lot of knowledge (and potential
frustation) learning about these new-fangled tubeless tires.  But now that
you *know *how to do it, they will continue to provide the benefits you
describe.....

One day when we were riding into Silver City (NM) I heard a strange noise
emanating from my rear wheel.  Nothing felt out of place so I ignored it.
We got to our motel for the afternoon and setled in....I then examined my
bike and saw a *lot *of *Stan's* on the back of my seat tube (white
globules).  Tire was holding air, although it was a bit softer than
normal.  I must have picked up some nasty crap that caused the sealant to
fly around like that.  I added some air and all was good (had to eventually
buy a new replacement tire in Salida, CO).

About a month ago I was coaching a good buddy of ours on how to go about
doing tubeless conversions (from afar).  Yes, lots and lots of frustation
and I could hear him saying in his head "is this worth all the hassle?"
Well, you just summed it all up with the numerous goatheads you just added
to your *collection*.  Can you imagine having to patch up the inner
tube???  What??  You've got to be joking!!

How often do I add sealant?  Great question.  I definitely add sealant
before a cyclo-tour or some such thing and a bit of time has passed (maybe
several months).  Perhaps a bit sooner if we've had hot and dry weather (we
are in Southern California).  FYI: we now have experience with Stan's,
Orange Seal (both standard and endurance) and now Panaracer Seal Smart.
Stan's and OS (both) have worked well and are very easy to add via the
tubeless valve stem (with valve core removed).  I've found Panaracer Seal
Smart somewhat harder to add via the tubeless valve stem because the
ground-up walnut shells can clog the stem.  I use an old spoke to push
anything that might have gotten clogged in the stem to clear it (yeah,
another pain in the arse).

Later,

Jeff (will be in Crested Butte for a few days to leaf peep)