On Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 7:42 AM Steve Cole <cole....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hugh,
> 1.  The wheel flop stopper is a Steer Stopper, available at
> https://steerstopper.com

Thank you Steve.

2.  The Middleburn cranks, I believe, are sourced by James directly from
> the manufacturer in the UK.

Good to know.

3.  Trigger shifters.  I know that there is a preference for friction
> shifters in the Rivendell community.  Using feel is a seemingly more
> natural approach to shifting.  For me, the trigger shifters free me to
> simply enjoy the ride without needing to make any minute adjustments to the
> gearing.  To each his or her own.

Excellent points on the merits of trigger shifters. I'm definitely not
against them.

4.  Bullmoose vs Bosco.  Again, to each his or her own.  At the same time,
> I think that handlebars are best when the hands/wrists rest in a close to
> normal position.  Boscos (and Albatrosses, which I have owned) are more of
> a handshake position.  Bullmoose bars and similarly nearly or completely
> flat bars for me provide better mechanics and pain-free riding.  Again, the
> Rivendell community seems to have settled on handshake style bars.  I'm the
> outlier here.

If you're an outlier then you must be a Rivster :) I think you make
excellent points,  I've ridden Albatache, Albatross, Drops, Jones and a ton
of MTB bars and am currently using Choco's on my road centric Atlantis.

I've been wary of the Bosco's and other similar bar types for the very
reasons you bring up, principally the handshake angle and lack of other
hand positions. I'm including a picture attached of the reason I want to
try the Bosco. This guy Fabio, Ron whatever name he's currently using says
that you can take a Bosco bar and spread them out to achieve a similar bar.
I think the one in this picture is a prototype, but I have no idea when it
will be available on the Crust site?

5.  Motolite brakes.  Motolites were essential to provide the width needed
> to handle the 700c x 55 tires.  In addition, when changing flats, which I
> very rarely do as they I use tubeless tires, the Motolites make this pretty
> easy without deflating the tire.

I love my Motolites, infinite ability to set them up, easy to get your
wheel out, like you say no deflation. They have great stopping power and
look great. The only issue I have with them is that they interfere with
fork crown mounting of a fixed campee rack. I had a 32F campy rack with
detachable lowrider pannier mounts I had to return. Obviously a Mark's rack
will work.

 By the way, I only inflate the tires to 30/35 lbs. front/rear.  I weigh
> about 200#. With the length of the chain stays, the low pressure tires, and
> the geometry, It's like riding in a 1962 Chevy Impala and for me, that's
> really good.

My first car was a '62 Impala. Wish I never sold it.

> Thanks for the response,

Hugh