A Motobecane would be an excellent stand-in for a Roadini (I ride both).
 There are Motobecanes with Japanese components; I believe the 1981 Le
Champion came with Shimano 600 and Vitus steel (equivalent to Reynolds
531).  Actually, any Reynolds 531 frame on Ebay that was built for 27 inch
wheels will acommodate 700cx32-35 tires.  I got a 1979 Mercian frameset on
Ebay for 200.00 dollars two years ago-- it was built for 27 inch wheels, so
I am able to run 32c tires on it easily.  It actually rides better than my
Roadini (more compliant if a little unsteady at anything above 40 mph).
 Ebay is still a good place to shop for frames if you purchase frames that
have horrible paint jobs!  Then just take it to your local powder coat guy.