Dave, I've been wondering the same.   I've had my eye on these finnish
blanket hoodies for a while now as a multipurpose outdoor shirt.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/jama-blanket-shirt/35226#koko

These folks also seem popular and offer more colorways and
styles/thicknesses.
https://asbellwool.com

KC winters are sort of all over the place.  I think a wool anorak type
thing could overlap a lot of different weather patterns we get, and worn
like a traditional anorak, loosely, you'd be able to layer up or down
underneath it and use it as a beefy shell they insulates on its own or as
part of a system depending what you're facing.

Last year I went with a Wrangler insulated work shirt(the one with the
sherpa fleece lining on the torso and quilted poly in the arms) for
everything but precipitation.  Cheap and functional.  Though it did not do
well with wind, I sized it as a mid layer so I could throw a wind jacket or
my softshell wind/rain jacket over it.

--ben in KC   (I cut into a local persimmon seed last month and the shape
was a spoon so we'll have a wet winter if you believe the lore.)