Because I wanted a 26" wheel road bike that handled better than my 1992
XO-1.

Backstory: For some reason I decided about 1990 that 26" wheels were better
for road riding than 700C and, after road-ifying several mountain bikes
(wonderful 1991 Stumpjumper Team was the summit and apex) I discovered
that, while they were certainly fast with 200 gram Specialized 26X1"
Turbos, they handled poorly with such skinny tires. Thus, when 2-Wheel
Drive here in ABQ was remaindering that 1992 XO-1 circa 1993, I bought it
and built it up as a gofast lightweight road bike (Sun M14A rims -- purple
anodized! Chi chi Grafton (later Topline superlight) triple! 12-19 7 sp
cassette! End-of-drop-bar Grip Shift!!) and that was fast too, and handled
better than the SJT, but it didn't quite handle well enough. So after I
received the alert that Grant was forming Rivendell, I asked Grant if he
could make me a 26" wheel road bike that was better than the XO-1. He said,
"Oh, it'll be better." And it was. So I put in an order for a 26-wheel road
custom in late 1994, which I received in early 1995. This frame used the
then-current All Rounder as model, but with steepened angles and road
tubing (tout 753!!! -- tho perhaps 531 fork?). Wonderful bike, but too
compact -- 54 c-c (my XO was 55 c-c), requiring a custom upjutter stem, and
rather too quick with the 22 mm actual tires. So I ordered a custom gofast
fixie in 1998, built by Joe Starck, delivered March 1999, still my favorite
bike of all time. Then I wanted a derailleur version of the same, so
ordered one that I received in April 2003, built by Curt Goodrich.

Long period .... I finally woke up to the fact that the 2003 just felt too
dead (subtily so, not grossly so, but over the years I came to realize that
it made me work harder than I wanted to, so in 2020 Chauncey Matthews made
me a clone of .8  .4. .8 531 built around the Am hub; revelation and stars
and fireworks.

In the interim I owned a first-gen shop floor Sam Hill and a second or
third hand second gen (blue, 32s and fenders) Ram, both since sold.

Upshot: the key, essence, point, magic of Rivs in ME is: they are
unerringly stable in a straight line, and then they turn into corners
without hesitation or over-eagerness. Even the Sam and Ram did this, tho' I
found the Sam sluggish (and it didn't take fat enough tires for my use),
and the Ram somewhat too staid (perhaps being used to 26" wheels affected
my judgment).

Now, 3 decades later, I'd like to get that signature Riv handling on a bike
that will take 70 mm tires ...

Corollary: When I see effusions of sentiment about XOs, I sigh: Rivs are
just so much better, on road and off.