Ok, this is really, really embarrassing, but I rechecked my Ortho bars
before packing them up for return, and they are not, definitely NOT as
FUBAR'ed as I had described earlier.

  I'm really doubting my sanity here. I remeasured where the bar clamp
section was, checked it over with calipers, and the 26mm bar clamp section
is right where the stem needs it to be. The roughened section is a bit off,
but still where the stem needs it to be. What in the world made me see
otherwise? This is scary, I hope this isn't a sign of early dementia. I
have to email Crust and apologize.

Comparing the Ortho bars to my Albatross bars does show off the Ortho bars'
flaws more than you notice just looking at the Ortho Bars alone. The right
side grips are about 5mm higher than the left, and the clamp section's
flaws look worse when held up next to Nitto's, but they are perfectly
usable bars.

I'm going to keep these and try these out with as a long a stem as I can
find, and hopefully get them to work.

I apologize to everyone for my what I wrote earlier.

John