Do what you want and don't get caught up with what others think.  I imagine
when I put canti's on an early 70's Motobecane LeChampion, people thought I
was trying to make a cross/touring bike.  I just really liked the bike and
wanted different brakes...and a small trunk sack up front.

Of course, you do need to make the paint purple.  Any other color would be
ludicrous.  :D

Reading ahead, I am also curious if this is considered a Roadeo still, or
full custom.  What will the decals say?

Best regards,
Matt