I've found that rain capes, at least in warm weather (and we get our rain
in the summer) offer the best combination of protection from wet and
ventilation. In fact, after using various Carradices, I fell back on the
cheap, $30 (and no longer available, I think) lightweight nylon cycling
cape from Campmor, since it best keeps the heat from building up (the worst
was the Duckback waxed cotton cape), only I removed the horrible leg
harness and sewed on a couple of stacks of big metal washers at the back to
hold it down back there. It has a hood, and wearing the hood over a cycling
cap, for the brim, helps keep glasses clear enough to see through while
also keeping hair and neck dry.

I don't like cycling in sandals, but I agree that legs bare from knee to
ankle are fine left open to the elements. I would like to find a pair of
Splats, though; also dislike wet shoes.