Stem shifters using the IRD mount is one option:

https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/product/54020-ird-shifter-mount-quill-stem-microshift-3884?search=shifter

I ran these for a while, didn’t love them. The band clamp broke eventually,
which struck me as a design flaw (though it’s been suggested on this forum that
I may have overtightened it).

There’s no reason you can’t run thumbshifters on a drop bar, I’d probably mount
them right next the stem clamp, a la brake interrupter levers.

Maybe you could find a pair of Kelly Take-Offs on eBay or something? Never
tried those myself, but have always been curious about them.

Sounds like you might be happiest with brifters though, if you’re OK with
indexed shifting.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400