On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 10:02:35 AM UTC-7 shopmonkey 39 wrote:

> Here's some ideas based on personal experience as I have barends on a
> handful of bikes.  First idea since you are already there, would be to turn
> your indexing off on your shifters.  I have this on a bike and it works
> great in friction mode.

I've tried this, and yeah, friction is a little better but still stiff.

> Second idea.  If you are open to other models of drop bar, you can look
> for something with more run out.  I switched to Soma Highway Ones and the
> extra run out has allowed me to run cables that apex just before the basket.

I actually am running 42cm highway one bars. I'm not sure what you mean by
more run out. However, I'm thinking maybe I can do something like start to
run the housing out of the bar tape once the bar starts to curve upward.
This might make the shifter cables run upward out of the bars rather than
forward?

> Fifth.  Gevenalle shifters.  I love these and they work great for basket
> bikes and even sometimes saddlebag on the front bikes.  I would choose it
> over STI everytime.

I had considered these, but I wish I could try them first. I've never seen
them in real life.

> Alot of this is based on the size of your bike, stem, bars, etc.  Also
> keep in mind that STI depending on the size of your bike and bars can
> sometimes hit your basket or bag.  I ran 44cm bars and occasionally if my
> bag was stuffed it would be a struggle to shift.

This is a fantastic point. Shimano STIs on a set of 42cm wide bars with a
loaded front basket seems like a bad idea.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Ben