>From time to time I have used reverse pull front derailleurs on a tandem
because the springs of normal pull front derailleurs were of insufficient
strength to reliably drop the chain onto the granny, a most undesirable and
annoying thing.  Based upon that experience, I do not want to rely upon a
spring to get me to a lower gear.  I've had well worn normal rear
derailleurs have trouble getting to the smallest cog at times, or be a bit
slow on the upshift - mildly annoying.  But, when I want a lower gear, I
want it NOW.  I like my VGT's and Cyclones.  On the other hand, at my age,
perhaps switching would confuse my brain enough to help ward off dementia.

The new Rene Herse derailleurs don't rely upon a spring either way, do
they?  But then, they can't be used with cogs with as many teeth as I want.

Bill S
San Diego