I'd just go for STI personally. Rode with downtube shifters for a long time
and they work well, but the ease of use of STI shifters is hard to beat. I
never loved shifting from bar ends personally.

You can find older SRAM 10 speed stuff pretty cheap, and it's all
compatible with their mountain derailleurs which is nice if you want to run
a bigger cassette.

Another couple options would be Gevenalle, or (if you can find them)
Suntour command butterfly shifters. Never used either personally but they
seem like cool alternatives to more conventional shift set-ups