Sorry if this double posts...I typed out my reply and then...nothing!

Effectively, according to Riv's 2018 catalogue, Sam and Homer are 95% the
same bike, but Sam is stouter and burlier. I'm guessing it's a tubing
difference and the fact that most Sams have canti posts that can take a
stronger brake than the sidepull. Comparing geometry from similar sized
frames from the same year on Bikeinsights shows them to be very similar
indeed.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, honestly. I love my Sam and I
know I'd love a Homer. The slightly burlier Sam would be my choice because
I'm over 200 pounds, but I think I'd never have any issues with a Homer in
my size.

Ben in Omaha.