I agree with your choice for pavement riding -- I don't need anything
fatter than 32 mm (in fact, if the 32mm-labeled Elk Pass was a true 32 mm
on my admittedly narrow rims, I'd rise from 26" tire Paradise to 26" tire
Nirvana (both Buddhist), but even at 28 mm on 19 mm OW rims, they're
heavenly (generic metaphorical sense) except on our 5" wide pavement
expansion cracks.

But: You say that you "know that the bigger tires are not as fast." *How do
you know? *

My own experience is that the tire width to speed relationship is all over
the place for tires of similar construction (and cost), what with all the
variables in speed involved (and also by the fast that I haven't measured
anything except seat-of-pants ease of given cadence in given gear in given
conditions). To wit: 622 X 60MM Big One ultralights feel as fast as the Elk
Passes and both feel faster than extra light 42 mm Naches Passes. But
again, variables, variables.