Thanks for starting this thread, Jay. I had considered voicing some similar
feelings but never started a thread.

As far as my riding goes, I do anything I can by bike. I can get pretty
much everything done in less than six miles, round trip. Most errands under
two miles. I work from home but with groceries, post office, job site
visits, stopping by the office, I'm riding every day, often four or five
trips.

I do road rides throughout the week and average about 100 miles per week.
Longer rides on the weekends out in the mountains if I can find the time
(more on this below).

The things I feel keep me from riding more: Oppressive heat and humidity;
not great riding from my door; better riding being a long drive from home;
not having other people to ride with.

I'm in Virginia. By August I am throughly exhausted by the weather. We've
had some nice bits here and there but the overall heat and humidity
situation seems to never end. Until it does!

The riding from my front door is not great. Lots of stroads and highways
and it takes some work to get out to where the riding is better and the
traffic is more calm. I'm limited in where I feel safe riding and going the
same routes over and over gets a bit tiresome. I'm not interested in doing
dozens of miles on the shoulder of a two-lane road where the posted speed
is 45 mph. We have some multi-use paths that are separated from car traffic
but they add up to less than six miles and they're pretty dinky.

I ride solo functionally 100% of the time. It seems having a riding partner
or group would make it a lot more fun and easier to get out the door.

The riding that I love (on quiet roads in the foothills of the mountains)
requires at *least *three hours of driving to access and doing a 35 or 50
mile ride takes up the entire day.

I've often thought that if there were better roads around me I'd ride a lot
more!

I think aeroperf's suggestion to read about riding is a great one. I
recently read Ray Hosler's Once Upon a Ride (thanks again for the rec,
Rich!) and that was fun and inspiring. Reading Bicycle Quarterly and old
Readers is pretty fun and inspiring, too.

Whenever I really don't feel like riding and I force myself to go I am
*always* glad that I did. Sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind and
sometimes I forget and talk myself out of it. But for me, riding is almost
always the right choice.