Regarding cul-de-sacs on Wandrer, you skipped over the interesting part
that is a lot more general for cyclists:

Cyclists, as a general rule, avoid cul-de-sacs almost entirely.  Why?
Because by definition they don't go anywhere.  Maybe without even realizing
it a "normal cyclist" couldn't draw a picture of the triangular "No Outlet"
sign, but when riding they recognize it in their spinal cord and stay away
from the dead end therein.  Wandrer totally flips that.  When a wandrer
sees that triangle on their "regular route" it's like an Easter Egg.
That's a section you've passed dozens, even hundreds of times and never
bothered to explore.  I've found it super rewarding to go down those
unexplored dead ends.  I'm an amateur architecture buff, and some of the
most interesting houses have been down those dead ends.  Also, I've found a
number of interesting urban trails at the ends of cul-de-sacs which I
imagine only the locals know about.  That binary switch from "cyclist" to
"wandrer" is interesting on its own, IMO.

In the East SF Bay, some of those tiny side streets and cul-de-sacs are
also among the most strenuous cycling one can find.  I've learned that all
the "main drags" through the East Bay Hills are practically flat in the
gradual ways they go up and down the hills.  The residential streets which
shoot off those main drags are far steeper.  For a short, very strenuous
workout that is still not repetitive, there is not much better than a Wandr
in the Oakland Hills.  Those rides kick my butt.

Regarding apartment complexes and other maze-like structures, those can be
super challenging to get all the bits.  I usually make a cue sheet when I
wandr, and that task can get tedious when it's a million little turns.  One
way I've approached those structures has been in the simple ways
mathematicians traverse mazes.  One way to cover a loopless maze is "right
hand on the wall".  If a maze has no loops, then RHOW will cover the maze.
It's pretty easy to recognize such a structure on the map and then a whole
housing development can be knocked out on the cue sheet with a single
"RHOW" entry.

These are some of the ways that Wandrer has opened up using my brain on my
cycling in ways that I hadn't bothered before.  For some people that may
"take the fun out of it", but for me it gave me new ways to derive more fun
in my cycling.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA