I have both the M1 and what was called the 2 Strut front/rear full length
rack. The same size platform as the R14 but can be used front or rear. The
mounting points for the struts is different than the R14 allowing the dual
mount.

Anyways, I've used them both front and rear. For a rear bag support alone
the M1 is perfect... well no ... that would depend on the size of your bag
!  Gotta measure it.  I do like the M1 as I don't have to run the struts
down to the dropouts, and I used it with a mini Lone Peak rack top bag.

I tried both in the front and didn't like the extra weight there.