4500 miles does sound like that's enough to wear out a chain. You must have
gotten lucky if it didn't wear out the sprockets and chainrings if you were
riding a worn out chain for any length of time. A chain that's been
elongated from wear can definitely wrap around the derailleur and get bent
all out of shape. The new Park CC-4 wear indicator is something definitely
worth getting.