My wife had a 58cm Betty Foy.  She is about 5' - 6" tall and when we
visited Rivendell, they advised that as her size.  We were a bit hesitant,
but upon receiving the completed bike it fit her well since it is a
step-through.  As noted, Riv recommended (at that time) Albatross
handlebars - they come back toward the rider and it is nice and upright, so
good fit is not too difficult.  Thus, I think your wife would fit a 52cm no
problem.  My wife did use it for commuting purposes, too (until we plugged
the plug).

Yes, I think it might be a bit hard to find a Betty Foy.  Maybe the
Platypus?

Best regards,

Jeff
Claremont, CA