Matt

Have you considered a 1986 to 1990 Schwinn World Sport or 1986/87 Traveler
Step Thrus or a 1984 to 1987 Schwinn LeTour Step Thru??  The Step thru
looks like a Betty but without the extra set of stays behind the TT/ST lug,
scan of 1985 Schwinn catalog of a World Sport step thru

Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (266 of 456) (waterfordbikes.com)
<https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1981_1990/1985Ltwt21.html>

Both use 4130 double Butted TT/DT (lugged) and a 1020 tubular fork & have
27" alloy rims.   The LeTours used 4130 stays.  Craiglist is a good source
with prices in the $125 to $250 range.   Common size frame size is 19" C-T
(48cm) with some 21" frames.   A 19" should fit her 5'4".   Schwinn gave
26# for the LeTour and 27# for the World Sport.   Panaracer still has the
Pasela in a 27" tire.

She may appreciate the lower cost.

The World model is a 1020 LUGGED frame and weighs about 28# which is not
bad and have 27" alloy rims in 1985 and after.   There tend to be more
World's vs World Sport/Traveler simply because they cost less

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ