I should add:  i built my wheels while waiting for my first-run susie to
arrive.  (I think I got the rims before the pre-sale even)
  I wanted to max out tire width and couldn't imagine a 2.8 tire working
well on a cliffhanger.  I like wide rim-to-tire ratios for numerous
reasons.  Now that I've done it, I feel like 2.8 is too much tire for this
bike.  At least with the V speedster tires I have.  They steer funny and
raise the bb too much.  So now I'm looking for a good 2.6 tire  which I
think will be about right.  I just haven't found a tread pattern that
appeals to me.  My humble, layman's prediction this size is likely where
the industry will shake out, and tires will be available for a long time,
too.  It's rare that I ever feel like a bike has more tire clearance than I
need  but this was a pleasant exception.  So narrower rims "might" have
worked for me too.