Greg's got the right idea: Start your clipless experiments with SPD,
because they're ubiquitous and cheap to get.

But the fact that they're easy to acquire doesn't mean they work for
everybody. When I fearfully entered the clipless world circa 2010, I
started with a pair of Wellgo pedals that had SPD on one side, and platform
on the other. Although I tried for a couple of months, I could never get
SPDs to work for me; I couldn't get the cleat to snap into the mechanism
reliably, and I didn't get any noticeable feedback when I was successful.
So I alternated between repeated failures to snap in/thinking I'd
successfully snapped in, only to find my foot flying free off the
pedal/thinking I'd failed, only to find that my foot was unexpectedly
attached to the pedal. This gave me much *agita*.

I then tried Crank Brothers pedals, and they were in my sweet spot. I've
been riding CBs (Candys, the long-discontinued Quatros; if anybody's got
Quatros to sell, hit me up) on my daily rider/pack mule (Raleigh
International>Trek 720 touring) ever since. I find them easy to
engage/disengage, and I feel a definitive SNAP when the cleat locks into
the pedal, I also like having a little float, which CB provides. Plus, you
can snap into Crank Brothers from either side, since the mechanism engages
on all four of its faces. I have found that I can snap the spring holding
the bits of the engagement mechanism in place, so I've got a couple of dead
Quatros lying around. I haven't figured out how to disassemble the pedal so
it's rebuildable; if I could do that, I could cannibalize the spring out of
one pedal to rehab another.

My advice is to start with SPD, for Greg's reasons. If they don't work,
there are a lot of other options, each of which looks/feels different.
Figure out what it was that didn't work for you on the SPDs, and let that
guide you to one of the other candidates (CB, Time, Speedplay etc.). If
none of your available clipless options work for you, platforms are fine -
with or without toeclips/straps.

Practice on a lawn; you'll fall down a lot at first. Most clipless newbies
are nervous about disengaging at speed, but that almost never happens.
You're most likely to fall over when you're going slow, or when you're
stopping, especially of you have to stop suddenly and your instinct to
disengage doesn't kick in fast enough to get a foot down. The half-dozen or
so times I've fallen while cleated in have all been at red lights that had
just turned as I approached. Since I was going slow when I fell, I mostly
felt embarrassed, clumsy and stupid, rather than panicked. Passersby asked
if I was OK, but I wasn't; I'd just bike-doofused in front of witnesses 😬

Peter "pride goeth right when you fall down" Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA