Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.  What they're often doing is using
something they already have in stock, telling the customer that they've
selected a "better" product.  Also, if they've stocked those via a one-time
mass purchase from a distributor, they're likely to be making a wider
profit margin off of it vs. something they had to special order.  Yet
another reason to DIY if you can.