Leah, I feel your pain and have a potential solution for you.  Get your
favorite color of Newbaum tape and wrap the offending kickstand with the
beautiful colored bar tape and then you won't have to look at that
offending black part of the kickstand and you get to accessorize your bike
with another beautiful color.  You can finish the end with some twine.  Riv
website has good instructions on how to do this.  I can take a picture of
my wife's Betty Foy's kickstand if you'd like.  I think it would be sweet!

Toshi