I think "mech" is an ancient British cycling term, doubtless from back when
most British racing bikes were fixed gear time trial bikes, so that
anything as complicated and mechanical and fussy as a device to shift a
chain across multiple cogs was by contrast a "mechanism." And of course the
Brits also said "Campag" instead of "Campy," so there's no telling what
terms they might come up with.