I watch Europsport live cycling coverage all the time and to further the
"mech" term, in racing when a rider suffers a dropped chain and/or any
gearing issue they refer to it as "having a mechanical".... a malfunction
of drivetrain. It happens more than ever these days. With many if not most
teams using electric shifting it's not something the rider has any control
over. If it's simply a dropped chain and not jammed they can fix that
themselves but if it has anything worse, or the electronics themselves they
have to wait for another bike. Isn't that the shit-takke ? Even tire
changes have become painfully slow to watch with thru axles. The mechanics
then must use electric screwdrivers for the bolts, or it would take forever
by hand. And those malfunction too. Battery operated crap ! It's faster to
take another bike. Then again, I don't watch these races for the bikes, I
frankly never really notice them lest when the frame focuses on some
failure. I like the pictures, the scenery, the people along side the road.
Even in rural places, the locals show up just give the riders a hand of
support. Cycling racing is really effing hard. You'll never see that in
Umerika. Umerikan culture in may ways is just weird, just effing weird.