Hi everyone,

I am considering switching my crank arms. My existing arms are 173; I’m
thinking about going to 178. Here are the existing specs:

Bike: Appaloosa 58cm with 700c wheels
PBH: 90.5
I’m 6’ tall and I have long legs.

Here are my questions:

1: Will 178 arms work on my bike, or will I not have enough ground clearance?

2: Why was the bike originally built with 173 arms? Is it a standard/average
size, better ground clearance, better fit for the average user,
toe-hitting-the-front-wheel, or another reason?

3: Is the 173 v. 178 difference so minimal that I won’t notice it?

As always, your experience, wisdom, advice, and opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, everyone.