I have a Soma Buena Vista that can run 700c or 650b with the 559s. With
700c braking is excellent with the pad is at the top of the brake slot. On
the 650b braking is fair and the pad is at the very bottom of the slot..
Good enough to West Michigan, but would not even in the  hilly parts of
Indiana.
I have settled on 700c for this bike just because I like the braking and it
fits 38s.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI