> 24/38/48 was default gearing for triples back in the 7 and 8 speed days;
> well, perhaps 24/36/46 was more typical but I used the former with no
> problem.
>
> My question was: Do wide (11-12-13 cog) cassettes with the wider chain
> angles tend to throw chains off of the grannies in triple ring setups? But
> how common can those be? No one in his right mind would need 3 rings with
> 13 cogs -- I think.
>
> I have yet to see a triple ring setup with a 11s cassette.  But the
problem that most people are trying to solve is not enough low gears. Even
though they've added speeds on the back, the moment you switch from a 1x
drivetrain the maximum size of the large sprocket drops dramatically (no
more 51t sprocket). I don't think you can use the 10-52 or 11-51 sprockets
with 2x drivetrains --- neither Shimano nor SRAM will support it. The
default drivetrain from Shimano is a 30/46 crank with a 11-36t cassette.
That's still a higher low gear than a 40t chainring with an 11-51 cassette
and nothing stops the 1x drivetrain user from switching to a 36t front
chainring and getting even lower gears.