Now that we've pretty thoroughly hijacked this blog thread:  Patrick, if
you've been building your own cassettes for 20 years, where have you been
able to purchase individual cogs (and spacers) in order to assemble your
own desired combination?  Everything I've noticed when removing cassettes
from their splined "body" for cleaning or substituting a different combo's
was that several of the central cogs are riveted together (which is what I
think Piaw was getting at when he said "...after cassettes were introduced
you couldn't pick individual sprockets any more...")?