I bought a BMC La Cabra out of the first run and set it up with Ritchey
Beacon bars. My first season riding in the mountains around Salt Lake City
I did not see anyone else on drop bar bikes. The second year, I noticed a
few people riding gravel bikes on mellow singletrack. So far this year the
number of drop bar bikes has exploded. It could just be happenstance, but
there does seem to be a growing market for trail-ready bikes that are more
versatile than the standard mtb. I really like being able to ride
comfortably to the trail, riding some singletrack, and then transitioning
back to road for the trip home. The La Cabra has been a fun bikefishing rig
as well. One of these days, I'll take it bike camping. I sometimes wish I
had a hardtail or FS for riding in Park City or the more technical trails
near my parents in Western Colorado, but when push comes to shove I can't
justify the expense as long as the La Cabra is in my stable, at least for
the kind of riding I do.