I ride Tektro 559s with my AHH and with my former 650b Ram.  I also think
they are great brakes.  I ride on fire trails and some single track, but in
no way would beat mountain bikers going down hill.  I can't say I remember
letting it fly too much except down Old Springs Trail near Tennessee Valley
Rd in the Marin Headlands.  Not particularly rocky or rooty, but fun going
fast on a road bike.

I used Salsa Woodchippers (extreme flare) for quite a while and was able to
set up nice hood and drop positions and rode several doubles with it.

Toshi