I have a V/O wide double crankset that has 46/26 rings, I'm considering
buying the Shimano, Acera M3020 which is rated to 40 teeth, and matching it
with an 11-40 Shimano 8-speed wide range cassette that Riv sells. I plan to
keep it friction.

The max front difference for the RD is 20 teeth, so 46–26= 20.

The total stated capacity of the Acera is 45 teeth, I'm not clear what this
means or how to calculate that figure.

Would there be a reason the combination of chainrings, cassette, and rear
derailleur would not play well?

Thanks!
Scott