Have you considered a couple of those inexpensive banjo brothers grocery
store panniers and a rear rack? You mentioned wanting to carry two grocery
bags worth of stuff or an equivalent haul from the farmer's market. I'm
just thinking would easily solve problems related to having of a lot of
weight above your wheel.
Best,
Scott