When I was in college I had a Raleigh Competition and a Raleigh RRA (French
metric Raleigh bike). It was a small campus in Williamsburg, VA. I had no
problems with either bike. Yes, I locked them. Yes, I didn't leave them out
at night and so on, but my point is... with a good U lock and maybe some
wheel theft clamps, I think you'll be fine. No one is looking for a classic
steel bike  these days. Now they want carbon and disc brakes. And there are
plenty of those bikes to steal. I'd give him the Clem.

Will