I went to Foothill Junior College in Los Altos Hills, California from the
fall of 1973 to June of 1977. You ask why I went there for four years ?  I
had to be on my mother's employer's dental insurance to be covered for
dental bridges for most of my entire mouth.

In the course of my college attendance, in December of 1973, I purchased
for $380.00 my first real ten-speed bicycle a 1973 Cilo Sprintx
semi-professional racing bicycle from owning a $150.00 Dutch Batavus
ten-speed bike from the previous summer as an upgrade. Not knowing a lot
about bicycles and what style of riding I enjoyed that most, I found myself
selling most all of the Campagnolo componentry within six months of
purchase, because the drive train gearing limited me from climbing the
foothills above Santa Clara County to Skyline Boulevard SR 35 and beyond.

I bought new componentry of the day that was the best of its time for my
Cilo, such as Phil Wood hubs and pedals, Super Champion rims, Avocet
saddle, Suntour Cyclone f/r derailleurs, T. A. Cyclotourist,crankset,
Suntour Bar-Con ratchet shifters, Bluemel fenders and ultimately finding a
NIB Campagnolo Nuovo Records side pull brakeset for my sports touring bike.
The Campy brakeset was the ultimate cool to have back then. I purchase the
brakeset for a bargain price of $75.00, plus tax !  They were going for
$140.00 retail.

I rode my Cilo to college year round from my parents house and back was 4.4
miles. There were times that I rode my 1966 Raleigh three speed, as well. I
did lock up my Raleigh three speed in a bike rack. It never got stolen.
With my Cilo, I took it every where I went inside the classrooms and
lecture halls, including the bathrooms around campus. It never left my
sight. I never locked it up. It never has seen a kickstand either.

When I was not attending college on the weekends, I would make my rounds of
visiting all the bike shops in the area from I lived in Mountain View to
Los Altos, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, to Palo Alto to see what was new and talk
to a few of the owners or staff or ride solo up into the hills of Santa
Cruz or ride with a friend out to Woodside and over to the coast through
Portola Valley to San Gregorio to Half Moon Bay.

Over time, my Cilo became my favorite road bike of all for about forty
years. It fit me perfectly in very way. It felt like a European sports car.
I honestly cannot tell you how many miles I rode on it. Bicycle computers
were not available back then. I never bothered to buy the old
mileage/odometer meter. My guess would be between 3,000 to 5,000+ miles ?

I retired my Cilo back in 2011, I grew older and riding in the drops was
not comfortable anymore. I wanted to find another bicycle for an upright
riding position and lower gearing. It took me a very long time for the
right moment to purchase a Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle last year and fall in
love again. Owing a Rivendell bike was the last thing I thought I would
ever own.  I know now what it like to own a bicycle from Rivendell Bicycle
Works. Thank-you, Grant Petersen !

Kim Hetzel
.....sheltering inside my the intense heat in the low 90's today in air
conditioning. I wish I could have stayed longer in Sitka, AK with grey
clouds and rain.
Yelm, WA.