I have had good luck with the  75mm wide VO fenders. I have owned an
appaloosa in the past with these fenders and 2.1 tires fit fine and if you
are ok with trimming knobs and dimpling chainstays, 2.25 knobbies fit under
the fenders as well. I currently have that same pair of fenders on my 59
clem L with 2.25 knobbies and plenty of clearance. I have other bikes with
Honjos (3), but I have found VO fenders to be just fine and much less
expensive.

I would be wary of any claims made by JH/RH for product, whether it be
planing, noise suppression knobbies, or rain channeling fenders...

You can also use VO or honjo stays and mounting hardware on plastic fenders
of any manufacture and they end up essentially as solid as an aluminum
fender. My dirt camper has this setup. the stays are quite inexpensive
compared to a full fender set.

Cheers.