Not sure I can add more here.  I'm a daily commuter in new england, all
weather, and my commute makes me happy each day.  My commuter bikes are
heavy, old and generally undesirable, but well-equipped for the job.  Dyno
lights are a must, as are studs in the winter (but not every day, hence two
bikes).  I have a front load for one bike and a rear load for the other,
for variety.

Every once in a while I have to drive.  This reinforces how much better the
ride is.    Perhaps commuting in some other fashion might provide similar
perspective for you - it's equally annoying AND you're not on a bike.

Will