I use one of those Adam and no, they aren't a great design with the sharp
bend and all. The plastic brake cable liner isn't necessary, I removed it
and just ran the cable as there was less friction that way on my Bombadil.

I tried running the brake cable direct to it without the noodle, but there
was too much play, the hole in the cable stop is too big. You'd need a step
down ferrule to even see "if" it would work.  There are flexible noodles
available, but those would also need a step down ferrule to even see "if"
it would work.

Nah, too much malarkey for me. Oh the irony of the "Problem Solvers" brand.
I haven't ridden the Bombadil since Spring and when I get around to
changing to drop bars I'll be using the Tektro 1277A fork mounted cable
stop instead. I use one of those on another bike and they're the bees
knees. The brake cable goes to it directly like a caliper brake and has an
adjuster which also work as a cable release with a few turns. Plus you can
angle it slightly off center/vertical if need be and that has no effect on
the efficacy of pull to the brakes. Brakes feel firmer than the high drop
headset/stem versions.