<snip>  I cannot fit fenders under the sidepull
> brakes with the 32mm tires I run.<snip>
 I recall that someone had come up with the idea to cut the
> fender in two to bypass the brake bridge, and then joined the sections
> in some clever way that I can't recall. ..

I created a wrap-around  out of plumbers-tape <http://tinyurl.com/
354dp4e> so that I was able to cut the fender at the brake bridge, and
join the two halves, without running a fender under the brake.  I used
it for a couple of years before I upgraded to narrower tires and a
standard fender.  During the winter, the brake kept on getting gunked
up and sticky. The normal fender also protects the brake.

So my $0.02 -- just use tires that will fit under a normal fender.

Best,
Larry