Brenton,
   I ride road barend shifters, a ten speed 32/52 front and 11-28 rear with
a modern Shimano clutch derailleur and a Tan-Pan adapter.  Gives me lots of
gears.  When  keeping a  50+ in the front and a 36 in the back, if the
chain is long enough to fit the large front ring and the large back ring,
then, the derailleur probably won't wrap up the small front ring and the
small back ring.
Ken P.