If I had a track bike and a track to ride I'd ring a fixed gear or
singlespeed if I wanted to be blasphemous about it. Otherwise 2x and 3x. I
always liked to joke that those who choose a 1x always believe they're
"right" , all-the-time ! Ahahahahaha. C'mon, you gotta laugh at the
hilarity of all this, as if 1x, 2x or 3x are in competition against each
other. I was recently called a luddite(I had to look that one up as to the
specific reference) for favoring steel frames,  rim brakes, friction
shifting and multiple chainrings. As if going to a carbon frame, discs, and
a battery operated shifting 1x system was somehow "progress" and that what
I rode was so archaic that it was for children and primates. *Pass the
bananas then, eh ?*  It was unfathomable that anyone could possibly discern
what was proper for themselves regardless of whatever the latest fad in
cycling is. Have you noticed how the trends come and go like the wind,
always changing ? While the basic stuff we ride just endures. It doesn't
*need* changing or upgrading and it's not broken or flawed, and that's the
point. I feel the same way about gasoline autos, but that's another story,
albeit the theme is the same.

My double is a 46/36 and a 13-32 7sp FW. I love that I can ride six cogs in
the rear with the 46t ring.  I've said it a million times but I love riding
the larger rings, albeit now it's 46t rather than 50t or 52t. I'd rather
have the usable gears in my power range than having a few very large gears
used once in great while. I can spin out of the 46t quickly downhill, so I
tuck and enjoy the flight rather than concerning myself with pedaling. I
have plenty of other opportunities to blow my lungs up up on the uphills :)

My Bomba has a 44/36/24 Andel triple using only the seven 14-32 cogs of a
9sp 12-36. Even with a less than great Surly stainless 44t big ring with no
beveling, I have no issues with shifting the FD. IDK why some have problems
with them, likely for the same reasons some don't. (((:shrugs:)))

With a double or triple it's so easy to criss cross your gear choices
quickly as you use both hands. With fewer cogs, I like seven, it's heaven !