Part 2:

50 miles turned into 60, and 60 inched toward 70, and I knew if I got to 80
I'd be too close to 100 to stop.

It was hoot. I felt good. Tired but not exhausted. Sore, but with none of
the chaffing and agony I thought I might expect.

More a matter of not stopping than pushing through a wall.

[image: IMG_3390.jpg]

I was also surprised by how much of the distance was covered on dedicated
bike paths along the way. They were numerous and well isolated for long
stretches, and when they were non existent, they were most often connected
by a frontage road.

I ate some bugs. I ate some almond croissants.

The coast gave way to foothills just before dropping down into Santa
Barbara, and just as the mini van pulled up behind me. I sent them on ahead
to meet up with me after the last 8 miles of the ride.

[image: IMG_3364.jpg]

[image: IMG_3393.jpg]

(That's 103 not 3)

[image: IMG_3408.jpg]

Here I am, proud of myself. I don't think I expected to go the full
distance really.

Always feels good to accomplish something new.

[image: IMG_3435.GIF]

The cheering crowds were of course overwhelming.

No flats or slow leaks on the Snoqualmie Passes.

The Hillborne preformed like the absolute champ we know it to be.

I have insoles in my vans, but could feel how a stiffer soled shoe would
help on long trips like this one.

Overall a fantastic Southern California ride.

Keith Paugh

Los Angeles, CA